I'm an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communications and New Media, National University of Singapore. I joined CNM in 2012 after finishing a Ph.D. and Postodoc at the University of Michigan. My research is focused on studying and designing social computing systems that encourage prosocial behavior.Specifically, I'm interested in understanding, modeling, predicting, and designing for prosocial human behavior within sociotechnical systems. I've studied and designed environments for large scale scientific collaboration, the use of social tagging in learning, and the sharing and reuse of user-generated content in online communities. I've received funding from the NSF and the Rackham Graduate School for this work.
RANDOM BITS FROM MY PAST
- I completed a Master's Thesis titled "Collaborative Narratives: Collaborative Learning in the Blogosphere".
Visual Arts work:
I had the great privilege of being able to work with Singaporean dramaturg, Kuo Pao Kun, who passed away in 2002. I wrote a Thesis titled "From the Margins to the Centre: An exploration of the Singapore Identity in the theatre of Kuo Pao Kun".
- I used to be a teacher/lecturer of English Literature and Drama in Singapore.
I used to workshop and devise plays with my students. I am very proud of them all (Shades of grey, Pretty good year, zeropointone, Eden), though I think that my students aren't aware of how proud I am of their work. One of the plays even won a Silver Award in the Singapore Youth Festival 2000.
- I have written, directed and exhibited an experimental video entitled "EMAS" at Moving Images: Local Flavor at the Substation. I am too embarressed by the immature and naive nature of this video to present it here :)
- I have conducted workshops and presented on the topics of "Creativity" and "The use of Role-play in problem based learning".
Popular Culture Journalism:
I spent my free time during my undergraduate years as an entertainment/pop culture journalist. Highlights of my work can be found below.
- Interview with Sonic Youth
Circa 1996. This article was co-written with Lim Cheng Tju. We were thoroughly amateurish and unprepared for the interview. Click on the image for the article for the article. But proceed at your own risk, it's 12Mb!!!
Interview with Shonen Knife
I remember being really excited about this interview assignment. There was clearly some miscommunication that took place in the interview ... Read the article and you'll see what I mean ...
TV's a real turn on
One of my first assignments. I was tasked with thinking about the state of television in Singapore as the arrival of Cable TV and the privatization of the national broadcasters took place in 1997.
- I was an Armoured Trooper with the rank of Corporal in the 42nd Singapore Armoured Regiment from 1989 - 1993.
- I was the captain of the Battalion Rugby team. We emerged champions in the Armour formation rugby tournament 1992.
- I was an "Operationally ready" trooper (Reserve service) in the 424th Singapore Armoured Regiment from 1994 - 2003.
- I have spent time with the Hmong children at the Catholic Mission Center of Wian Kean, Chiang Rai, Thailand. I have been to Wian Kean twice, once in 1999 and another time in 2002. The first time I went there was to produce a documentary video with my students. My second trip there, I was the project leader for an overseas community involvement project.